Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

(Re-)Re-introduction to reloading


A little background:

My first introduction to reloading was my father's progressive shotshell press he kept in an outbuilding on our farm.  My dad is a pretty damn good trap shooter and the press was setup accordingly for 12 gauge shells, #8 shot, and some modest load of IMR PB, if I remember correctly.  At some point in my teenage years, a couple of friends and I decided to see if we could figure out how it all worked.  After a few failures, we got the system down and were soon loading shells for target and small game shooting.

Fast forward to my early twenties and I started getting more interested in handguns and rifles.  This naturally (at least to me) led to handloading of those cartridges.  I started off with the .243 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, and .303 British primarily with IMR 4064 powder.  This was kind of a casual and experimental hobby, especially since the equipment was housed at my parent's farm and I was now several hours away.

(continued after the jump)

To the present:

Now that I have space to set up my own loading "station" I decided to do just that.  As you can see in the photo above, I have created a collection of powders to use for all the various chamberings of all the guns I now own (and ones I hope to own in the future).  This collection was based on researching load manuals looking for suitable powders for a smattering of rifle cartridges across the range from .223 to .45-70.  My current handgun cartridge loading ambitions are significantly more limited, pretty much .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt.

As far as my loading press, I'm starting with a Lee Hand Press:

So far it does everything I need it to do, and it's actually kind of fun to use.  At some point I do hope to have a sturdy enough bench to get a standard press, but this will do for now.

Stay tuned for my first couple new handloading projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment